- Home »
- Catalog »
- Brake System »
- Brake Systems And Components »
- Disc Brake Pads »
- Brake Pad Sets - Circle Track
PitStopUSA.com - Brake Pad Sets - Circle Track
Select a Sub-Category
Brake Pad Sets - Circle Track Featured Products
More About Brake Pad Sets - Circle Track
Wilwood brake pad compounds are the results of three decades of experience and continual development to provide optimized braking and driver feel for all types of motor sport and competition applications. This selection guide is intended to provide general characteristics and applications for each compound.
Wilwood has many types of brake pad compounds designed specifically for racing. It is important to analyze braking requirements and select the proper pads. Experimentation is often necessary to determine the correct compound for a particular application. On-track testing and driver evaluation however, will always remain the determining factor to final pad selection.
Here a few of the most popular Wilwood Polymatrix Racing Brake Pad Compounds:
- PolyMatrix “A” Compound - Heat Range: Low to X-High, Torque: X-High: “A” compound delivers an immediate cold response with the highest friction values at all temperatures. Engineered for severe duty oval track race applications which require immediate high response at low temperatures.
- PolyMatrix “B” Compound - Heat Range: High, Torque: High: With quick warm-up, high friction and fade free performance at high temperatures, “B” is the best choice for sprints on pavement or dirt tracks with extreme braking.
- BP-10 (“Smart Pads”) Compound - Heat Range: Medium to High, Torque: Light to Medium: A medium to high temp compound, low dust characteristics and the low temperature response of a street pad. Use on dirt track cars with vented iron rotors, club sport and track day racers.
- PolyMatrix “E” Compound - Heat Range: Medium to High, Torque: Medium to High: A proven “Million Dollar” winner and the first choice for all types of dirt racing. “E” has immediate cold response, with consistent torque and pedal response through the entire temperature range. “E” has smooth engagement for finesse driving on slick tracks, with plenty of stopping power right from the start.
- PolyMatrix “H” Compound - Heat Range: Low to X-High, Torque: High to X-High: Slightly softer initial response than “A” compound with the same high temperature friction. Severe duty compound has long wear characteristics and works well on oval track applications. Delivers smooth, consistent engagement at all temperatures and pedal pressures.
- PolyMatrix “Q” Compound - Heat Range: Low to Medium, Torque: Medium: Ceramic-enhanced compound is ideally suited for aluminum rotors. Provides smooth engagement, long service life, quick recovery and high fade resistance.
Refer to the chart below for more Wilwood Polymatrix Racing Brake Pad Compound information.
Performance Friction Racing Brake Pad Compounds
Performance Friction pads are used by most of the NASCAR Cup, Grand National and Truck teams as well as Indy racers as well as many top short track racers. Select the Performance Friction compound that best suits your specific requirements. All sets are completely race ready pads requiring no bedding. All pads are boxed per axle set, four pads per box. All Performance Friction compounds are painted black.
Second Generation Performance Friction Compounds
Developed to provide the same unrivalled stopping power of previous compounds but with reduced pad and disc wear and improved controllability. These compounds are extremely versatile and suitable for all forms of motor racing, from GTs to single seater to rallying.
- 97 Compound - This compound was designed as an all-purpose pad where excellent controllability was a priority over ultimate stopping power. Due to its excellent modulation characteristics, this pad has proved very popular with race schools, rallying, and as a rear pad for applications such as touring cars. 97 has the lowest wear of all compounds, typically providing two to three times more life expectancy than competitors. This compound can also dramatically extend disc life. 97 is a medium torque race compound and as a result can provide reduced brake temperatures in situations where poor cooling can result in premature disc failure. 97 has the flattest torque curve of all the Performance Friction compounds. Effective from 167°F and reach 2000°F (75°C, reach 1100°C), 97 uses Performance Friction’s unique lubrication package that maintains a minimal transfer layer on the disc to help prevent brake judder and provide excellent release properties, therefore reducing overall drag in the brake system. 97 is extremely easy on the discs with very low wear. 97 is now being used in Bondurant, Derek Daley, Dale Jarrett Driving Adventure, Panoz, Mid Ohio, and Jim Russell racing schools because of it's long wear vs. performance vs. control and modulation.
- 01 Compound - Released in 2001,this compound has increased initial bite and improved modulation. The friction level has been increased for the first two-thirds of the braking event, with flatter torque curve and more linear friction curve compared to 83 and 93. This allows the driver to attack the brake pedal later, reducing the time spent on the brakes. Very smooth release will not over-slow the car, and won't overwhelm the car's set-up. Like 97 compound, 01 has excellent modulation characteristics that improve controllability and driver confidence. 01 uses Performance Friction’s unique lubrication package that maintains a minimal transfer layer on the disc to help prevent brake judder and provide excellent release properties, therefore reducing overall drag in the brake system. 01 is extremely easy on the discs with very low wear. Effective from 167°F and reach 2000°F (75°C , reach 1100°C), optimum operating range is between 860°F and 1004°F (460°C and 540°C).
Next Generation Performance Friction Compounds
Performance Friction is constantly working to develop and improve its current range of pad materials.
- 03 Compound - 03 compounds have shown to have higher bite and higher average torque than 02 compounds. The 03 will handle the most severe conditions. 03 have excellent release for improved modulation Very easy on the discs with wear on par with 02 compounds. Very smooth release so as not to over slow or overwhelm the car’s set-up.
- 05 Compound - New compound offers the highest initial bite and highest average torque and no torque rise with temperature. The release and wear characteristics are excellent with a slight improvement over the 03 compound. Designed for high grip, high downforce and severe duty including NASCAR short track. Only available in GM 0052 Series.
- 81 Compound - A race ready compound that replaces the 80 compound and provides smooth, stable high temperature torque and superior cold bite for dirt or asphalt. Quick release, low wear and excellent disc conditioning qualities make the pads ideal for low grip asphalt and dirt track including IMCA modifieds, dirt late models and street stocks.